Course Duration: 25m (approx) online training + self-directed learning and activities + final assessment.
Data influencers work with data on a daily basis and either create, store, enter, or decide when data will be processed. In addition to general awareness, you should have an additional level of training specific to your role in processing and handling data. As per the Data Protection Act 2018, it is your legal duty to protect the personal data of your students, staff, and visitors. If your school is found to breach GDPR rules, you may face a hefty fine and a visit from the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Our essential CPD course in data protection provides you with the core content you need to ensure you are complying with your legal responsibilities in protecting personal data. Delivered in high-quality video CPD format that has been skilfully organised for busy workloads and is accessible on any device, anytime, anywhere, our training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost-effective and most time-efficient manner.
Delivered by retired police officer and associate lecturer, Dr. Kai Adegbembo, this course has been divided into four easy-to-digest modules. The course consists of learning through video modules, completion of tasks, further reading and viewing external resources. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives from the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
This course has been designed in line with the following policies:
- Data Protection Act 2018
- Data Protection: Toolkit for Schools (Department for Education)
- Understanding the definition of data protection, the importance of GDPR, and how it applies to your school.
- Recognising your roles and responsibilities to comply with your legal responsibilities to keep personal information safe and secure.
- Recognising the principles of data protection, including the various lawful reasons for processing personal information and how they apply to your school.
- Identifying the various types of data breaches and how to prevent them from occurring in your school setting.
- Understanding the role of the data protection officer (DPO) and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Module 1: Roles and responsibilities of data influencers
Module 1 will cover what a data influencer is and how they impact the data protection process in your school.
Module 2: Defining data protection
Module 2 will explain what GDPR and data protection is. You will understand how data must be collected and stored within your school for you to be compliant with the Data Protection Act 2018.
Module 3: Principles of data protection
Module 3 will cover the seven key principles set out in the GDPR. You will understand the various lawful reasons for processing information and how they apply to your school.
Module 4: Information losses and data breaches
Module 4 will demonstrate the different types of information breaches and how you must respond to them. You will also understand how to prepare for a personal data breach.