Every school has a duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. It’s essential that child protection and safeguarding leads have a strong understanding of their responsibilities towards keeping children safe and are aware of the challenges they might face in implementing best practice processes and procedures.
This Essential CPD course provides you with the core content you need to understand your key responsibilities as the lead for child protection or safeguarding in your school.
Split into bite-sized modules, the training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost-effective and most time-efficient manner. It has been produced in high-quality remote video CPD format which is accessible on any device, any time, anywhere.
Developed by Robin Watts, international safeguarding expert, the course is split into five modules. The course consists of learning through video modules, completion of tasks, further reading and viewing external resources. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives from the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
- Understanding the need for an effective and robust approach to child protection that is reflective of local policy requirements.
- Appreciating the need to develop a whole school approach to keeping children safe and building a culture of safeguarding and child protection awareness amongst all staff.
- Identifying different types of harm and abuse and ensuring schools have the correct channels open to report concerns and manage disclosures correctly.
- Recognising the minimum level of knowledge that all staff must acquire and what the main responsibilities are of child protection and safeguarding leads.
- Understanding safer recruitment processes and ensuring that leads have the right tools to be able to discuss concerns with children in a safe and appropriate manner.
Module 1: Understanding safeguarding and child protection
In module 1 you will understand the importance of safeguarding and child protection and the key challenges that schools may face in delivering effective provision.
Module 2: Building safeguarding awareness
Module 2 will discuss the importance of building a culture of safeguarding within your school and ensuring that all staff have an awareness of their safeguarding responsibilities.
Module 3: Categories of abuse
Module 3 will look at different categories of abuse as defined in the UK but which are commonly experienced around the world and similar to many countries own definitions.
Module 4: Child protection/safeguarding lead role and responsibilities
Module 4 will explore the key responsibilities of the child protection lead (or designated safeguarding lead) and consider some of the common obstacles you might face in your role.
Module 5: Safer recruitment and offender behaviour
In the final module, you will learn about safer recruitment practice, offender behaviour and receive advice and guidance on speaking to children who might be victims of abuse.