About the Course
Duration: 28m (approx) online training + self-directed learning and activities + final assessment.
School staff have a significant role to play in reducing substance misuse in the UK. Their unique position means that they can spot the earliest signs of drug or alcohol misuse in others. School leaders must have structures in place to minimise the damage to a person's health and social relationships, their staff members, and the whole setting.
This essential CPD course provides you with the core content you need to raise your awareness and develop strategies and guidance to support staff, colleagues or young people who have substance misuse problems. Split into bite-size modules, the training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost effective and time-efficient manner. It has been produced in high quality remote video CPD format, which is accessible on any device, anytime, anywhere. Delivered by qualified emergency medical technician Samantha Kendall, the course has been divided into six modules with a knowledge assessment at the end to help you evidence your learning.
Designed in line with the following policies:
- Recognising the signs and symptoms of substance misuse and the factors that influence people to misuse substances and the importance of intervening early.
- Understanding the effects of substance misuse (including drug and alcohol misuse) on individuals, their staff, school, and wider community.
- Knowing how to develop organisational policies that support those experiencing substance misuse and also protect others, particularly young or vulnerable people.
- Recognising the benefits of promoting healthy choices and supporting others to build resilience towards misuse.
- Understanding how to direct people to support and manage incidents relating to drugs and alcohol misuse.
Module 1: Commonly misused substances
Module one will offer an overview of commonly misused substances and the laws surrounding them. It will also explore the duties of managers and staff when confronted with substance misuse in the workplace.
Module 2: Understanding substance misuse
Module two will focus on the reasons behind why people turn to alcohol or drug misuse. It will provide a better understanding of the people who suffer from substance misuse.
Module 3: Providing help and support
Module three will focus on how to provide effective help and support to someone suffering from substance misuse.
Module 4: Policies and procedures
Module four will explore the policies and procedures you should have implemented in your school to guide staff and students on the topic of substance misuse in your school.
Module 5: Supporting young people
Module 5 will explore why children and young people may be drawn into substance misuse, what signs to look out for, and how teachers can help support those who may be more vulnerable.
Module 6: Foetal alcohol syndrome
This module gives insight into foetal alcohol syndrome, exploring what it is, how it is caused, and the effects it can have on mother and child.