When children are well-nourished, they will be in the best position to learn and play in an early years setting. It is important that food and menus offer are healthy and nutritious and that menus are well-thought-out to ensure that the children are given meal options that take into account allergies as well as nutritional value.
Developed by The National College, this Essential CPD course will give you an understanding of how to develop menus and offer nutritious meals to children who are in your care.
Please note: The course consists of learning through video, task completion and further reading/research. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives of the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
Designed in line with the following policies:
• Early Years Foundation Stage Framework
• Example Menus for Early Years Settings in England
• Understanding the importance of healthy eating for children in early years setting.
• Developing an awareness of allergens and knowing how to avoid these in menu planning.
• Knowing how to create a nutritious and well-balanced menu.
• Understanding the principles of healthy eating for children in an early years setting.
• Developing an awareness of nutrients and the impact that they can have on child development.