All early years providers have a statutory duty to ensure that their premises, including overall floor space and outdoor spaces, are fit for purpose and suitable for the age of children on the premises. They must also comply with the requirements of health and safety legislation.
Developed James Whelan, chartered health and safety expert with extensive experience of delivering workplace training, this Essential CPD course will give you the knowledge and skills to safely organise and manage nursery premises and equipment, ensuring compliance with Health and Safety Guidelines.
Please note: The course consists of learning through video, task completion and further reading/research. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives of the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
Designed in line with the following policies:
- Early Years Foundation Stage Framework
- Health and Safety at Work
- School Premises (England) Regulations
- The Education Act 2002 • Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- Fire Safety (Scotland) Regulations 2006)
- Understanding how health and safety legislation affects the layout and use of nursery premises and equipment
- Recognising how the EYFS framework can impact the organisation and management of nursery premises
- Understanding and being able to conduct risk assessments for an early years premises, including how to apply the results
- Realising how to determine the safety and suitability of nursery premises environment and equipment
- Gaining an awareness of the first aid requirements in an early years setting to aid compliance