Course Duration: 50 minutes (approx.)
Effective governance can deliver continuous school improvement that enables the best possible outcomes for children. All school governors, especially those new to the role, should receive initial training and continuous development in order to meet the expectations of the role, contribute towards achieving the school’s strategic objectives and stay up to date.
This essential CPD course provides you with the core content you need to ensure you understand the core functions of school governance and the roles and responsibilities assigned to the governing board of a school.
Split into bite-size modules, the training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost effective and most time-efficient manner. It has been produced in high quality remote video CPD format which is accessible on any device, anytime, anywhere.
Produced by experienced school governor and subject matter expert, Naureen Khalid, the course has been divided into five modules with a knowledge assessment at the end to help you evidence your learning.
Designed in line with the following policies:
- Governance Handbook 2020
- Competency Framework for Governance 2017
- Understanding your roles and responsibilities as a school governor and what the core functions of the governing board are.
- Recognising the different governance structures in maintained schools and academy trusts and how the governing board perform their work.
- Understanding your legal responsibilities as part of the governing body and the legislative frameworks and statutory policy in place that schools must comply with.
- Identifying what the main features of effective governance are, who the board are accountable to and what expectations are placed on the board.
- Recognising what happens upon appointment to the board and what to expect as part of both a meeting and induction pack.
Module 1: Understanding different governance structures
Module one will explore the differences between maintained schools and academies, commonalities between all education settings, governance structures in different settings and some of the common challenges that governors may face.
Module 2: Functions of the governing board
Module two will discuss the three core functions of the governing board, what effective governance is, the competency framework and the boards statutory responsibilities.
Module 3: How does the board perform its work?
Module three will help you understand the roles of the headteacher, chair, clerk and link governors, how board meetings and committees operate and what the expectations of the board are around conduct and conflicts of interest.
Module 4: The first meeting as a governor
In module four you will learn what you can expect after you’ve joined the board and are about to attend your first meeting, including what forms part of the meeting and induction pack.
Module 5: Following appointment to the board
Module five will explore what happens upon appointment to the board including the role you will need to play in compliance and holding leaders to account. It will also touch on further resources to help support you in your role.