Course Duration: 1 hour and 15 minutes (approx.)
All staff have a responsibility to provide a safe environment in which children can learn. They should receive appropriate child protection training, and regular updates, in order to provide them with the relevant skills and knowledge to safeguard children effectively.
This Essential CPD course provides you with the core content you need to deliver effective child protection and safeguarding provision as a member of school staff.
Split into bite-sized modules, the training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost-effective and most time-efficient manner. It has been produced in high-quality remote video CPD format which is accessible on any device, any time, anywhere.
Developed by Lorna Ponambalum, safeguarding expert and senior leadership education professional, the course is split into five modules. The course consists of learning through video modules, completion of tasks, further reading and viewing external resources. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives from the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
- Understanding the need for an effective and robust approach to child protection that is reflective of local policy requirements.
- Developing an awareness of children’s rights and appreciating the difference between safeguarding and child protection.
- Recognising different types of harm and abuse, potential risk factors and understanding the impact they can have on children.
- Understanding how to respond to safeguarding concerns and the appropriate steps to take when managing disclosures.
- Recognising the common challenges that international schools may face in trying to implement child protection and safeguarding measures.
Module 1: Why is safeguarding children important?
In module 1 you will learn what safeguarding is, why it is so important in schools and how to implement an approach that meets recognised standards.
Module 2: Understanding safeguarding and child protection
In module 2 you will explore the difference between safeguarding and child protection and the key challenges that schools may face in delivering effective provision.
Module 3: Roles and responsibilities of staff
Module 3 will discuss the importance of building a culture of safeguarding and ensuring that all staff have an awareness of their safeguarding responsibilities.
Module 4: Categories and indicators of abuse
Module 4 will look at different categories of abuse as defined in the UK but which are commonly experienced around the world and similar to many countries own definitions.
Module 5: Recognition, response and managing disclosures
In module 5 you will learn the key steps to take when responding to a disclosure, the importance of managing preconceptions and how to ensure you accurately record and report information.