About the course
Duration: 48 mins (approx.)
All schools must have clear policies and procedures that guide day-to-day processes in order to function effectively. Any member of school staff can be given responsibility for the drafting of school policies, and not all of them need to be signed off by the full governing body.
Our essential CPD course in policy writing and implementation provides you and your staff with the core content you need to ensure you are delivering effective policies that establish expectations, keep pupils safe and support academic attainment. Delivered in high-quality video CPD format that has been skilfully organised for busy workloads and is accessible on any device, anytime, anywhere, our training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost-effective and most time-efficient manner.
Delivered by former headteacher and senior school leader, Amanda Griffiths, this course has been divided into seven easy-to-digest modules and contains links to further learning and resources with an assessment at the end to help you evidence your compliance.
This course is designed in line with the following policies:
- School Information (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012
- Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020
- Understanding the importance of clearly written school policies and the impact they can have on delivering successful outcomes for the school.
- Identifying who is responsible for the creation and implementation of school policies, what to consider when structuring a policy and how to ensure compliance.
- Identifying best practice for formatting and implementing a school policy, including the use of language, visuals and appendices.
- Understanding the different policy types – statutory and discretionary – and clearly defining purpose, vision and strategic function as part of an overarching process.
- Recognising the various areas of policy, different categories they may fall under and what they must cover.
Module 1: Understanding the background of school policies
Module 1 puts school policies into context and covers their history, with a focus on the various types of policies and who they are aimed towards.
Module 2: Why do we need school policies?
Module 2 focuses on the purpose and the content of school policies: why you must have them in place and what they must encompass.
Module 3: How to format a school policy
Module 3 explores what must go into a school policy. You will learn the collective aims of the policy and the legal framework upon which your policies must be based.
Module 4: Using effective language
Module 4 looks at best practice techniques for writing school policies, particularly in the use of language.
Module 5: Visuals and appendices
Module 5 concentrates on the visuals and appendices of a school policy, how they may be used and why they may be beneficial.
Module 6: The overarching process
Module 6 discusses the necessity of policy, including the questions you must ask yourself before writing and implementing any policy and ensuring a review and assessment process takes place.
Module 7: Ensuring compliance
Module 7 discusses compliance and which policies you must legally make public. It also explores the importance of communicating with parents and which policies must have governing body approval by law.